Tuesday, March 30, 2010

First Challenge - Speed

Shortly after signing up for the LIVESTRONG Challenge, I received my first donation, AND my first real challenge.

A donor (who wishes to remain anonymous) offered a sizable chunk of money towards my low, low minimum fundraising - with the idea that they'll DOUBLE it if I do my 5K in 30 minutes or less!

I've NEVER run at a that pace less than a few minutes. This past weekend, at the Sons of Norway Leif-to-Leif 5K in Ballard, I cracked MAYBE 38 minutes for the 5K. This is probably my best time ever, and the reason for that being that I started off fast, but was not really able to sustain it. This challenge that I've been handed means that I actually have to train, and run regularly, so I can win this competition. It's so funny, because the LIVESTRONG 5K is explicitly not a competition, but a "fun run" - chips will be available for times, but no awards will be given.

I have my next 5K in a week and a half - the Rock Riot Run 5K at the University of Washington, to benefit the Eastside Domestic Violence Program. My entry fee is some toiletries for the shelter - something that I was too happy to bring. I didn't quite pick luxury shampoo, conditioner and deodorant - but I'm sure they probably get a lot of the cheaper stuff, and I know I'm grateful to have nicer toiletries when away from home. It just makes *me* feel good to have something nice to wash up with. Maybe that's just me.

Anyhow - today's a running day, which means that despite the thunderstorms my dashboard widget is warning me about, I got to get out there and run. My plan today is to do another 5K, or maybe further. Later this week I hope to hit Greenlake to do 6-7K.

Wish me speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment