Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Yesterday's Run: Pi

Yesterday, I ran roughly 3.14 miles in 41 minutes and 37 seconds. Not quite as good as the 5K on this past Sunday, but better than earlier last week. I used my (2.0) trusty Nike+ Sport Band as well as my generally reliable Polar F11 Heart Rate Monitor. The strap that came with my Polar monitor had finally wore out, and tried some super-glue (and one last round running with it) as I waited for my Polar WearLink+ Replacement Strap to be delivered for my next run.

My husband keeps trying to convince me to go for a Garmin, so I have just one thing on my wrist, and can do more than upload my steps to my computer. It's a tempting thought, but I really, truly love Nike+, even if the original SportBand had recalls due to it's screen getting wonky in a short period of time. The new version seems much more resilient, plus comes in a handful of colors. They also upgraded the gadgets and social media connection on the Nike+ webpage. You kind of feel like you're a member of a cool club by being with Nike+.

As for my Polar HRM, I love the design of the watch as that it's big enough to see when I'm running, and attractive enough to wear as a watch, if I so choose. I also really love the cloth-like chest band, as that it's really comfortable under a sport bra. The only problem I've had is that sometimes I get some interference with other monitors at the gym, and the accuracy of my heart rate is in question.

Optimally, Nike will come out with a GPS/HRM that will integrate with the Nike+ system. Have I mentioned that I also love that my iPhone has Nike+, and I can listen to music and it connects with my Nike+ foot sensor? I positively LOVE that. I could by a GPS app for my iPhone and use that, however, I don't like jogging outdoors with music. It seems rather unhealthy to not hear a car, or anything else, while I'm out in the world.

My run went OK, considering it was about 40°F and windy, and I went out in my capris and tank. I was a bit chilly for the first 15 min, and came back with my arms feeling a bit numb. I couldn't help but feel a little sluggish as I ambitiously wanted to both run faster and longer - but that's my impatience. My next run (tomorrow) I plan to be just a 2 miler, with the hope of 5 miles on Sunday at Greenlake. We'll see how that goes when I get to it.

I'm also hoping to start back with doing yoga. I think I could use a little more centering. I hope also to find a girls running club, or other social ways to be active.

No comments:

Post a Comment