Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Scuba and Running

Today my athleticism was a combination of dry suit diving with Girl Diver at Alki Cove 2 and doing a long run of 39 minutes in my neighborhood.

I'm desperately needing to get back in the water, if only to increase my endurance for kicking. Diving is great for developing all sorts of muscles, from your legs to your arms (for us Northwest divers at least, it's 50 lbs of gear!)

My long-slow run was slower than I hoped, but actually over all, pretty OK. I didn't stay as low in my heart rate range as I wanted, which was disappointing. I do have to contend with hills in my neighborhood, though, which makes it hard to keep my heart rate down without slowing quite a bit. I'm still going faster than 12 min/mi, but I am hoping to do under 10 min/mi, especially by late June. I'm finding that my interest in training is flagging quite a bit. I'm wanting a running buddy (not necessarily a group.) I don't want to feel pressured, I just want to have fun. I also don't want to drive too far to run. Driving to run? Really?

I've neglected hitting the gym and doing yoga. I've also been pretty busy doing a number of other things. I hope to be very busy this summer, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts training.

In the end, I'm caught up in my independence.

On a dietary front, I'm really trying to be mindful of carbs. They make me feel sluggish, hungry, and generally icky. Now, I'm speaking mainly of the refined-sugar type. They also make me cracked-out craving them. This is new for me. I'm about 15 or so pounds from reaching my BMI norm. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment