Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Running in Chicago vs. Seattle

Yesterday I probably walked over 5 miles - it was wonderful, especially considering the amount of fried food I ate yesterday was more than the past month combined. Today I went for a light, long run - it's a break week, so I only did about 45 minutes for the run. My pace ended up just under 11 min for the entire run, and I ended up doing just over 4 miles. The biggest treat was going along the lake in the bright summer sun. It was a bit breezy and, of course, hot - but it was wonderful. Running in Chicago makes me feel like I could run forever. It's amazing what running up and down hills in Seattle will do for your perception of effort. My heart rate was pretty low for a run (around 120-140 a good part of the time) due to a lack of effort needed. It was a fun vacation run, to say the least.

Today was also my first run in myVibram Five Fingers Bikila . They are definitely an improvement over the Sprints - and I'm glad to once again be running a minimalist shoe. My knees ache so much less after a run. The only problem I seem to be having is that my big toe on my left foot gets a little unhappy - similar to the problem I had first with the Treks. At least I'm relatively certain these are the right size. Not too big, not too small. It will take a few more runs before I'm certain - but I think the Bikilas are likely the winner.

Now - back to my break!

No comments:

Post a Comment