Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Training Progress and Bikila's in Sight

First, I have to say how proud I am of myself for my run on Sunday. It started out as my long, slow run, with no real hills planned. It ended up with me doing a half mile with an elevation gain of over 350 feet! I ran through three different neighborhoods, and 6.26 miles at a pace of just under 11:30. I was a little sore on Monday and Tuesday, but I can't help but be pleased by the experience over all. My knees and hips really didn't like it - and this I partially blame on my conventional running shoes. You see, I'm still running in my conventional shoes as that the Vibram Five Finger Bikila's have been out of stock and backordered for the past month, and I sold my Sprints in expectation of getting the Bikilas. Oops.

This morning I'm a bit worn out after not sleeping well, and then doing a morning run. I've tried to switch to mornings during the week as that it allows me to get more done with my evenings. Also, I can run half-awake if I have to - which I definitely did this morning. It was a misty humid morning, and I did my short fast run at under 10min/mi for 27 minutes. I'm making sure to make hills a part of my routine - something I expect will be a sharp contrast next week when I take lazy runs along the Chicago lakefront.

Speaking of Chicago - I'm really excited that I was able to find Bikila's available at the second store I called. They have them on hold for me to be picked up next Tuesday! There is only ONE official retailer of Vibram FiveFingers in the Seattle area - and that's REI, and they aren't even available for backorder in my size on their website. Chicago, on the other hand, has tons of stores offering FiveFingers - and if I have the misfortune of someone selling the Bikilas before I get to them, I will have at least a half dozen places nearby to check out to see if they have them in stock.

I'm not sure how I'll adjust back to minimalist running after wearing the bone-jarring conventional running shoes. I'll be bringing them with me just in case the Bikila's don't pan out - or end up not working like the FiveFinger Treks.

I'm loving running right now - it's sort of like my co-drug of choice, with my other drug of choice being delicious food. I'm a foodie now, more than ever - I think because my interests have turned to quality over quantity. A running store I had hoped to get my Bikila's from (See Jane Run, whose customer service seems to be ignoring me) sells shirts that say "I run for chocolate." It's true. I run because it feels great to run. I also do it because I can eat more delicious food (with reason) as a reward.

And for a weight update - I'm now below 150 lbs, and my body fat percentage is down to around 29%. I still have 12 lbs to go before I get to where I want to be (20-22% bodyfat) I don't know if I'll get there before my next challenge, but I just thought I'd put this down here for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment