Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Las Vegas Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon

I'm just two days back from the Las Vegas Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon. This was my first race of this distance, and was a belated birthday gift to myself. I'm still rather beat up from it, but I'm so glad to have done it. It was a great event.

I feel like I'm still short of time and energy to share all that went on with this event. It wasn't just a race, because I see this as an amazing step on a long journey. I've fought, kicking and screaming and at times, just quiet determination, to get to where I am today. The race was a rite of passage. Even though I've now run a distance greater than the distance between my home town (suburb) and the nearest urban area, I feel like I now should be striving to run farther. It may be a type of insanity - or liberation (or both?)

Last year, medical issues and profound loss seriously thrashed me. This year, I picked up the pieces, got back on track with weight loss (I have lost about 130 lbs in the past 3 years), and started training for distance. This race was my celebration of accomplishments in a tangible way. For the first time in my life, I've reached a point where I can do something I've never been able to do before.

My race time was 2:15:21, which was my conservative guess time. I wanted to do faster, but at 2000 ft above sea level (Las Vegas' elevation), I think I was having trouble getting the oxygen I needed to do so.

Other than the race, I really enjoyed the weekend in Vegas, and really enjoyed our stay at the Wynn. I indulged in a post-run spa experience, which I can only believe has made my body feel SO much better than it would have otherwise.

I'm taking the week off of exercise (maybe stretching/yoga), and plan to get back into a regular fitness routine. I, however, am done with racing til spring (I think!) I'll keep this blog posted (for my 2 readers!)

1 comment:

  1. I think it's amazing that you did this. I'm sure it was a profound experience. I hope to have an experience like this one day. Congratulations and great job!

    ReplyDelete