Monday, June 21, 2010

LIVESTRONG Challenge - 29:42 minutes, 5K

According to my Garmin, this was the most hills I've run since I started training. I ran the 5K yesterday morning at a pace close to around 9:30 per mile, and by the time the finish line was in my sites, I was pushing myself to go further, meanwhile feeling an overwhelming urge to cry and hurl at the same time.

My time beat the challenge laid out before me, which was a 5K in under 30 minutes. This means that at the end of it, I raised $375 for LIVESTRONG - where none was required for runners.

The only thing I didn't like about the race was that the cycling portions were competitive, but the 5K was not. We didn't get chip-timing, which seemed to have been a possible option. I also didn't get a tech t-shirt for raising the $250 minimum - I got the standard, oversized, bright yellow LIVESTRONG Challenge t-shirt. The cyclists got tech t-shirts. I know that Mr. Armstrong is a cyclist - and this is a cycling event, however - if you're going to have triathlons and running events for LIVESTRONG, I'd think it to be just courtesy to have the same options for the runners or triathletes (yes, they cycle, I get that.)

It was overall a pretty great race. It's hard not to get choked up - everyone has someone they're running in honor or memory of. I had three people on my "in memory" and two on my "in honor" - and I forgot to add a few people on there. I put the first people who came to mind, one of them being a friend who died last year, who while he was undergoing cancer treatment and a secondary, life-threatening illness caused by the treatment, was still able to buoy me up during my crisis. I get choked up just thinking about it. I wasn't super-close to Alex K. the way other people were, but last year he was able to cut through the bullshit and make me feel a little less isolated. He also had a bravery in the face of cancer that just kept me, and I think everyone who knew him, in awe. He is missed.

I'm sad that I don't have another race planned for next month, but I'm sure I can change that easily. I'm resting this week, as that I'm feeling wrecked from yesterday. HILLS. MY GOD. HILLS. I had no idea there were so many hills around Seattle Center. 250ft elevation total! Last week's race was flat. This was brutal. The GI distress I had lasted for about 2 hours after the race, and I was ravenous the rest of the day.

Yesterday was huge. I made a goal that I set for myself. I am 7 lbs from reaching the upper level of the BMI (which is bullshit, and actually, more generous because my body fat percentage is still too high.)

Today is rest - then I will gently resume training later in the week.

Wow. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment