Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rest Week and Nutrition

Today's plan is to go out for an easy, short jog in preparation of Sunday's race. Last night, I roped another friend into joining me for the LIVESTRONG Challenge, and I'm excited to be coming near to this event that I've been training for. I have a $125 challenge on the line, so if I break 30 min for 5K, LIVESTRONG gets another $125. Pretty fantastic!

I've been playing a lot with Calorie Count the past couple days. They just released their iPhone app, and I'm loving the app. Their UI for the app beats the site, but I'm willing to forgive a lot of my little issues with the site for what the overall functions are. Tracking online and via smartphone isn't new to me, as that I've been doing it for the past 2.5 years through Weight Watchers, but I'm getting to a point where my weightloss is slowing, and I'm feeling a need to get a true lay of the land. I've made huge leaps and bounds in changing my lifestyle, now I need to work on my nutrition.

What Calorie Count is allowing me to do is help me track my ratios of carbs, proteins and fats in my day and even week+, as well as key nutrients like iron, potassium, vit c, vit a, etc. What I've learned from tracking the past week is that I'm not getting enough protein, and am getting too much carbs and fats. I think that I often replace proteins with fats (due to the fact that I try to keep my meat and soy consumption low for ethical/medical reasons). I can't help but wonder how this is impacting my training. I'm also not getting much iron in my day to day, which is something I hope to remedy first through leafy greans, and second by a vitamin supplement.

All this being said, the outcome calorically is also pretty stunning. To lose weight, I should be averaging about 1200 calories per day, but what I'm actually doing is 1500 calories per day. It's a 200 calorie deficit per day from what I need to just maintain my weight, which is good, but means that might weight loss is at a snails pace.

This next week I'm going to strive for balance in my diet - something that Weight Watchers, unfortunately, doesn't help you really track. Which is OK, considering that their big plus is the ease of their system, and that they DO encourage eating lean meats, whole foods, etc - but they leave you a bit in the dark on how to get all your nutrients in, and if you're actually doing so.

I guess, with dieting, the one truth is the math. It doesn't matter what system you use - all grapefruit, all frozen, prepared dinners, 2/3 meals out of milkshakes, etc. The heart of all of it is that if you put in less energy than you use, you will lose weight (barring medical/pharmaceutical interference.) You might not lose weight where you want it (lose muscle, lose all from your breasts and not your hips/thighs, etc,) but you will lose it. And in my case, no matter how much I lose, my naked body will NEVER look like a supermodels.

This is what I'm working on in my rest week. Now to get moving towards that short run I was talking about.

(BTW - still achey from Sunday's run! Wow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment