Sunday, June 27, 2010

Still Recovering: Long Slow Run

Today I did my first long slow run for recovery since my two weekends in a row of racing. Let's just say my body is still not quite up to where it was. I don't think I'm going to do two races in a row like that again!

I'm still running in my Five Fingers Sprint(36, Slate/Palm/Lichen), and loving every minute of it. I did have some funky minor blister/bruising after my race last weekend, but it cleared up in short order. I have to say that my dress shoes in the same amount of time are more hell on my feat than running in the Sprints!

My run today was a short 33 minutes and change. I cracked just under 12 minutes a mile, and kept my heart rate at around 140, give or take. I had to go pretty slow to start off to keep my heart rate from getting too high. I tried to do some more hills, but it turns out no matter which route I take in my neighborhood, I'm not equalling the elevation I saw around Seattle Center for the LIVESTRONG Challenge. I might need to find a hillier place to train.

I canceled my gym membership this week in order to seek out alternative cross-training opportunities. Should I do the climbing gym? Maybe get back into yoga classes (this is most likely)? There are definite possibilities out there. I may rejoin a gym once the cold/dark season comes back, but for now, I'll enjoy the freedom.

It's funny doing two races and realizing I'm a very small minority of runner with the minimalist shoes. I would have thought they were all the rage - I hear so many people talk about them, even just an aside at a bus stop when I'm not even wearing them! So many people I know are converts, and I'm definitely noticing benefits of my own - but I'm curious as to why this isn't catching on like wildfire. I mean, they're light, washable, packable and fun! What's not to love?

More on my minimalist shoe fetish in the next post.

1 comment:

  1. Yoga and climbing are both pretty awesome for strengthening. I'll go climbing with you this weekend if you want to try it out!

    ReplyDelete