Sunday, June 13, 2010

Run and Walk with Pride 4K 2010

I'm freshly showered from today's race, the Seattle Frontrunner's Run and Walk with Pride 2010! It was a lot of fun, and a really great turn out (500+ people!) This is my first time doing this event, and my first time around a running club (like the Frontrunners), and I was very much impressed. The diversity of people there was really awesome, LGBT and allies, kids and dogs and friends - and it was a gorgeous day. The money raised from the event goes to the Lifelong AIDS Alliance and Chicken Soup Brigade, both causes I can get behind.

This was my first chip-timed race, and my first 5K in a couple of months. OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE TRAINING MAKES! I ran the 4K, and came in at 22:51.1! I was second place in my age range (30-34), out of about 7 women in my age range. Women are pretty underrepresented at this event, but even still, I'm really proud of myself. Next weekend is the LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE! I can only hope I'll do as well with the 5K. That means that this week is an easy week while I prepare to run my best.

I love running with a group of people. The run was beautiful, the people pretty non-competitive, and there was a spirit of fun that pervaded the event. I didn't win any big prizes in the raffle, but I definitely came away feeling like I won something.

Maybe it's just pride for my accomplishment. I don't know. It just feels good.

1 comment: