Thursday, April 29, 2010

First Run After Rest

Yesterday I dragged myself out of the house to do my first run after one week of rest. I stuck to 30 minutes, and despite not figuring out how to set my Garmin to beep at me when my heart rate went over 148 bpm, I was pleased with how I did. I ended up doing 2.79 miles in those 30 minutes, and stayed rather consistently under 11 minutes per mile the entire time.

My joints, however, are not feeling so good today. Specifically, my big toe joint (bunion) was particularly unhappy. I've been using my Healthy Toes after runs and in the evening to stretch my toes out. I have no evidence this will do anything, but it's kind of fun, and I like the idea that it might help. I also picked up some Boiron Sportenine at my local co-op over the weekend, with the hopes that the homeopathic (or placebo) might work to ease some of my training pain.

I definitely woke up to full body aches this morning, though I feel like I slept better. Emotionally, I feel a bit more on-edge, and a little more anxious. I'm not entirely sure that strenuous exercise is good for me. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going about this wrong.

I plan to try another run tomorrow, to get myself back in the routine. Again, I don't plan on doing more than 30 minutes.

I feel like I'm trying to walk a tight-rope between health and well-being. Every day I'm inundated with different ideas of what health can be. I just hope I'm choosing the best path.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on getting back to running, in your adorably type A way. Next time, I am going to cross my fingers really hard that I will see a recap like:

    "Despite not figuring out how to set my Garmin to beep at me when my heart rate went over 148 bpm, I was pleased with how I did. I ended up at 140 bpm every time I checked up on myself!"

    Or

    "Despite not figuring out how to set my Garmin to beep at me when my heart rate went over 148 bpm, I was pleased with how I did. I stayed rather consistently WAY OVER 11 minutes per mile the entire time, thus not overtraining and killing myself.

    :P

    hehe anyway I'll try to be quiet now, good luck with saturday's run, even if you decide to focus on going too fast and make yourself hurt, may the hurt pass quickly :)

    ReplyDelete