Monday, April 12, 2010

My First Run with Garmin Forerunner 405CX

Yesterday was my first run with my Garmin Forerunner 405CX. It's an expensive wrist computer, to say the least, but giving me a new dedication to properly training.

It was difficult finding a GPS heart rate monitor that fit my tiny wrists. At first, I wasn't going to get the Garmin because at it's tightest it still was loose on my wrist. Luckily, it comes with a fabric strap that cinches down tighter. The weight on the 405cx (and the 405) is more evenly distributed than the 305, and the more blocky models, which makes me more comfortable running with it. It syncs wirelessly to my computer (another huge plus!) and gives me great graphs for both my route and heart rate. Seriously, the amount of data that I get is unbelievable.

Yesterday I went for my four mile training run in the neighborhood. I wore my Nike + SportBand as well, to see if I could properly calibrate my steps. The run was challenging (especially in the midday warmth which I haven't experienced this year.) I got through it, though, and every day seem to be running faster.

I'm really impressed with what the Garmin has to offer. It's definitely an investment, but I think that if you're serious about training (and I dare say I am), it's worth it. I still love my Nike+ SportBand, and believe it's the best $60 you can spend to start running and getting some stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment