Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Team in Training

Uh oh, what have I gotten myself into?

Yesterday I went to the Washington/Alaska chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training informational meeting held at the REI flagship.

I am SUCH A SUCKER.

No doubt that they do good work (they have a 3 out of 4 star rating through Charity Navigator), and considering the healthcare gaps in this nation, and the expense of fighting cancer, I'm glad that there are organizations that help fill in the gaps with emotional and material support to families who are undergoing treatment for serious (and expensive) diseases.

However, there are a gazillion other charities that I'm also fond of and wanting to give my time to. Many of them local (think globally, act locally, etc.)

The thing is, not all charities have distance training as part of their draw.

And so I went to the info meeting, plopped down $50 to start (and got a moisture-wicking t-shirt), and signed up to train for a marathon in October.

The catch is that in order to get to the end point of all this, the marathon, not only do I have to train, but I have to raise $3200 (maybe less) for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by October. I don't have that money in my bank account (and I know that many of the people I know also don't.) They assured me that we will learn how to fund raise - and yes, this is what I'm worried about, not the actual marathon.

I can back out at any time before July - though I'm sure there's pressure to not do so. I will have only lost $50 (to a good cause) and gained 2 months or so of training. I'm so intimidated!

Also - a half marathon is a crazy distance. A whole marathon? OMG.

I'll be thinking on this for awhile.

In the mean time: My Fundraising Page

No comments:

Post a Comment