Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rock Riot Run 5K and New Toy

I did the Rock Riot Run 5K today, despite not getting enough sleep, and barely finding the starting point. It was a small run, I think the first ever, and is part of UW on-campus events to reduce dating violence and address domestic violence issues. I was definitely a decade older than many of the organizers and participants.

I completed the 5K in 33 minutes and 58 seconds. I couldn't believe I actually did a 5K, because my Nike+ SportBand was telling me that I only did 2.79 miles. Then it occured to me - it's not calibrated right! I barely really calibrated it, and really didn't properly do so when I first got it. I've been actually runnning MORE than I thought I was, meaning my actual times are really better than I assumed.

I said to myself, "That's it, I'm getting a GPS."

I checked out a few places, and finally settled on the too-big for my wrist (but just good enough) all the bells-and-whistles I want (ooh! touch sensitive bezel!) in the Garmin Forerunner 405CX GPS Sport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor. I'm looking forward to trying out this bad boy come Monday (or tomorrow, if I can't wait that long.) It's hard to find a user friendly GPS and HRM that also syncs to the computer. I'll still be wearing my Nike+ SportBand, but I'll at least be able to properly calibrate it.

Over all, a very successful day. I'm pumped to start signing up for my next race challenges. Whose gonna join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment