Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Week of Rest Near End

Tomorrow rounds up my week of rest since I came to the conclusion that I was overtraining.

So far, I've managed to do pretty well, despite the fact that I've been wanting to eat more despite not burning as many calories. My joints are finally starting to not complain as much, though the rain has made my bunions particularly painful when I'm walking outside.

A few friends that I've talked to have convinced me that I don't need to run a full marathon. At this point (and after reading up on it) I'm questioning even a half marathon. I want to do it right - not just do it for the sake of doing it. I also don't want to cause myself a lot of damage. I've already got painful bunions, I really don't need a bum knee, wrenched back, or anything like that.

I hesitate, because part of me wanted to be awesome. I think that running is awesome (and fun), but I also have respect for competitive distance runners, who are perhaps more crazy than I, but have what it takes to get into the Boston Marathon. I've heard rumors that some old-school runners bemoan the fact that average times for marathons have decreased over the years, mostly due to people like me entering the sport at a lower level, and doing it for the sake of doing it, instead of elite athlete competition.

Let's face it - our country could use more of the idea that being active is fun. For all of us who sit behind a computer, tv, video game for most of the day - it's good to have a hobby that actually peels us up from our chairs. Competition and/or challenge and community are just some of what makes a hobby worth it. Not to mention the pride of completion, be it a sweater for your best girlfriend or a 5K. A friend of mine tried to convince me that swimming may be the best fitness, especially for its low-impact and high reward (if you really swim instead of just hopping in the pool.)

The past month or so I've been living off of endorphins. I've found out that I don't get a defined high from running, but I do get a respite from my troubles. As another friend (I've been listening to a lot of friends) said to me, it's a way to help you feel less pain so you can go the distance. Emotional pain seems to be another thing it softens, but I can tell you, the backlash these past few weeks have been horrible. Very topsy-turvy.

I look forward to my next run - which may be only 20 minutes long, and likely, on Thursday. I look forward to seeing how my body takes it, if my new Garmin was a good choice, and if I think that the Team in Training will be reasonable.

I'm still on the fence about the Team in Training, mainly because I need to take care of myself first. Mentally and physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment